LGBT rights in Cambodia. Same-sex sexual activity is legal in Cambodia. While traditional cultural mores tend to be tolerant in this area, even expressly providing support for people of an intermediate or third gender, LGBT rights legislation has not yet been enacted by the ruling government.
Source – Wikipedia
Cambodia is becoming one of the most popular and well-loved travel destinations for LGBT people in Asia. Gay travellers are welcoming in Cambodia and because the culture is predominantly Buddhist, there is not the same kind of aggressive and unwelcoming reaction against gay people that you would see in Muslim or Christian cultures.
Phnom Penh has a gay pride parade that was first held in 2004 and is now a yearly event. The nightlife in Phnom Penh is laid back and welcoming and the prices are very affordable, so you can live like a king (or queen) even on a small budget.
Best Gay Friendly Hotels in Cambodia
These are just a few of the gay-friendly hotels in Cambodia where you can relax and enjoy your stay knowing that you are completely welcome.
- Three Monkeys Villa – This is the first villa in Siem Reap that is exclusively for gay men. Located in a 5 minute tuk tuk ride from the centre in the peaceful countryside, it has a gorgeous pool and a tranquil tropical garden.
- Arthur & Paul Hotel – This is a male only boutique hotel located in the Beung Keng Kang area of Phnom Penh city centre. It offers a stylish outdoor pool, a sun terrace and large modern en suite rooms.
- Rambutan Resort – The stylish gay-owned Rambutan Resort in Phnom Penh is located within a retro 1960s Molyvann Khmer villa. The beautiful rooms feature authentic furniture and artwork, private balconies and writing desks and the hotel boasts a saltwater swimming pool.
Best Gay Bars in Cambodia
Sip a yummy cocktail, chat to a cute stranger and dance the night away at one of these fantastic gay bars in Cambodia.
- Linga Bar – This was the first gay bar to open in Siem Reap and it has an excellent reputation for its delicious cocktails and it’s Saturday night drag show.
- Miss Wong – This lush, red walled, classy gay friendly bar in Siem Reap has sophisticated cocktails and an elegant atmosphere.
- Blue Chilli – This popular gay bar is somewhat of a Phnom Penh institution and it is very popular with tourists, expats and locals.
LGBT Friendly Tour Agencies in Cambodia
When you are travelling in Cambodia you might want to go with a tour operator so that you can leave the navigation and the details up to someone else and just enjoy the fun parts of the journey. These LGBT friendly tour agencies offer travel experiences that will be enjoyable and unforgettable.
- Cambodia Gay Tour – Cambodia Gay Tour was the first and most respected gay tour operator in Cambodia.
- Lolei Travel – This tour company was founded in 1997 in Phnom Penh and is a great option for gay travellers.
- Ecstatic Adventure Travel – This gay friendly tour company offers tours throughout Cambodia, whether you are only visiting for a few days or you are lingering for a longer visit.
These are just a few examples of the many excellent gay bars, restaurants and tours in Cambodia. For more info, feel free to contact us at any time.